RILA's Retail Energy Management Program's Resource Library is organized around the Retail Energy Management Leadership Model, a roadmap to help retail energy managers optimize their energy programs. Retailers can refer to the Resource Library for specific tools, case studies, and further opportunities to help them progress the maturity of their programs.
The resources listed below come from a variety of sources including government, service providers, and retail company websites.
Abbreviations:BBA = Better Buildings Alliance DOE = Department of EnergyEEI = Edison Electric Institute EPA = Environmental Protection AgencyHBR = Harvard Business Review
Have a suggested resource or edit? Contact email@example.com.
• Advanced Energy Retrofit Guide for Retail BuildingsDOE report on general project planning and financial payback metrics for retail buildings .
• Guidelines for Energy ManagementGuidelines to building a strategic energy management program from EPA.
• Strategic Energy Planning Online course on developing an overall energy resource plan to ensure that necessary resources are available and make the most cost effective energy decisions from Schneider Electric.
• Target Finder CalculatorCalculator to assess energy performance of buildings and model savings needed to meet goals with potential efficiency investments from EPA.
• Improving the Energy Efficiency of Commercial Buildings Engagement opportunities with the DOE's energy-reduction oriented groups and workstreams.
• ISO 50001 Energy Management Standard Standard for voluntarily implementation of an energy management system from International Organization for Standardization.
• Communications Toolkit Toolkit for ENERGY STAR communications campaigns from EPA.
• Energy Efficiency Competition GuideWorkbook for planning an energy efficiency competition in the workplace from EPA.
• MGMWeb and mobile tool to encourage employees to reduce resource use, resulting in more than 7 million kWh of energy savings - case study from DOE.
3. Executive Engagement
• RILA Energy Efficiency Finance CalculatorCalculator to determine external financing mechanisms best suited for a project - as well as estimate common finance metrics.
• RILA Keys to Collaborating with Your Finance TeamEngaging finance leading practices as informed by RILA's research and interviews with senior retail finance professionals.
• Kohl's Best practices for communicating the value of energy efficiency projects to internal financial decision-makers - Oct.1, 2013 DOE webinar.
4. Energy Team
• Role of an Energy ManagerDOE webinar to outline typical energy manager responsibility areas with Simplot case study.
• University Of Pittsburgh Medical CenterCreation of an Energy and Environmental Engineering Department with a targeted skillset and dedicated energy efficiency budget - DOE case study.
5. Engaging Utilities
• Database of State Incentive for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE) DOE database of incentives and policies that support renewables and energy efficiency in the US.
• NECAN DirectoryOverview of EEI member (investor-owned utilities) products and services.
• Rebate & Solutions Provider Finder Energy efficiency project planning platform for identifying projects and finding rebates and solutions providers from Green Per Square Foot.
• Whole FoodsHow utility collaborations have yielded energy savings for customer portfolios and helped reduce overall utility peak demand - Dec. 2, 2014 DOE Webinar.
• Whole FoodsAgreements with utilities specifying multi-site regional annual kWh consumption reduction targets with aggregate, streamlined incentive process - DOE case study.
• Utility Customer Advisory Group Engagement Opportunity for commercial customers to provide input to EEI, the trade association for U.S. investor-owned electric companies.
6. Leased Store Management (primarily applicable to retailers in malls)
• Energy Aligned ClauseLease clause for sharing costs and benefits of energy efficiency investments between landlords and tenants from PLANYC.
• Regency Centers & Trade Joe'sRegency Centers partnered with Trader Joe's to install a 253 KW solar photovoltaic system that offsets more than 65% of the store's energy use, at no installation or maintenance cost to Trader Joe's.
• Whole Foods Drew on lessons learned from past ad hoc rooftop solar installations to develop a roll-out plan new systems. Developing standardized lease language with landlords was a key enabler - RILA case study.
• RILA & ICSC Landlord Tenant Energy PartnershipEngagement opportunity with RILA, ICSC, and IMT around the split incentive barrier to energy management raised by the landlord and retail relationship.
• Green Lease Leaders Program DOE recognition opportunity for successfully implementing green lease language into new or existing leases.
7. Energy Management Information System (EMIS)
• Managing Sustainability & Energy Performance Software – From Spreadsheets to Performance Video explaining the benefits of using a technology solution over spreadsheets for data management from Schneider Electric.
• Sustainability & Energy Management Software - Which Platform is Best for You? Video on what factors to consider when choosing a sustainability and energy reporting platform from Schneider Electric.
• Abercrombie & Fitch The how and why of submetering energy use in buildings, data centers, and facilities - Nov. 1, 2016 DOE webinar.
• Staples, Albertsons, DSW, Whole Foods, WalmartWebsite showcasing successful EMIS and BAS approaches and strategies from sector leaders, including links to 9 retail case studies - Dec.9, 2014 DOE webinar.
• Smart Energy Analytics Campaign Engagement Opportunity with DOE BBA Technology Solutions Team around EMIS systems to address the evolving tools and systems for managing commercial building energy use.
• ISO 50001 Ready ProgramSelf-guided resource for establishing an energy management system and self-attest to the structure of ISO 50001 from DOE.
8. Measuring, Tracking, and Benchmarking
• Portfolio Manager Benchmarking tool for measuring and tracking energy and water consumption and GHGs from EPA.
• Submeter Deployment Guide to submeter deployment and other energy management insights from Legrand.
• Kohl'sUse of Portfolio Manager to benchmark the energy performance of all its stores - EPA case study.
• Macy's Implementation of a centralized, real-time energy management system and weekly coordination with field staff to address energy issues - DOE case study.
• Schneider Electric Use of an energy model to normalize baseline energy use and track energy savings from improvement projects - DOE case study.
9. Aligning Incentives for Energy Performance
• Alcoa, HEI Hotels, and TIAA-CREF How to align employee compensation and performance to meet energy efficiency goals - Sept 3, 2013 DOE webinar.
• Best Buy Rolling portfolio-wide lighting retrofit program using maintenance funds instead of capital budget - DOE case study.
10. Front Line Employee Engagement
• Energy Efficiency Competition Guide Workbook for planning an energy efficiency competition in the workplace from EPA.
11. Financial Management
• Cash Flow Opportunity Calculator Calculator to inform purchasing and financing decisions from EPA.
• Energy Project Evaluation Tool & Guide to UsageCalculator to help evaluate energy projects based on upfront and implementation costs and annual energy and environmental impact from Legrand.
• Financial Analysis of Energy Efficiency Projects Schneider Electric online course introducing financial terminology, investment return calculations, and lifecycle costing.
• The Transformation of Total Cost of Ownership Whitepaper on the importance of incorporating cost of frozen capital and energy efficiency in calculating Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) from Siemens.
• U. Of Pittsburgh Medical Center Creation of an Energy and Environmental Engineering Department with a targeted skillset and dedicated energy efficiency budget - DOE case study.
• Kohl'sPartnership between finance and energy teams - DOE case study.
• RILA Retail Financial ManagementRetail best practices and case studies for finance basics, internal financing, external financing, and more.
12. Systems Procurement
• 3 Steps to Reduce Energy Supply Costs Schneider Electric video on reducing energy supply costs via market timing, RFPs when buying, etc.
• Energy Procurement & Energy Rate Structures Schneider Electric online courses on procurement options in regulated and deregulated markets, as well as hedging strategies.
• Energy Supplier Tactics Video on common trends and tactics US energy suppliers use in pricing and contracting with customers from Schneider Electric.
• Technology Performance Exchange (TPEx) Interactive DOE database providing centralized access to product energy performance data.
13. Building Auditing, Re-tuning, and Retro-commissioning
• eco Treasure Hunt Checklist Checklist to analyze energy usage at any existing facility and identify opportunities for savings from GE.
• Energy Audits Online course on energy audit types, overall process, and methodology from Schneider Electric.
• Staples Partnering with a fulfillment centers to conduct an "eco-Treasure Hunt" - DOE case study.
• Building Re-Tuning Training Training to detect energy savings opportunities and implement improvements in existing buildings from DOE.
14. Reporting & Communicating
• Greenhouse Gas Calculators Calculators for GHG emissions measurement from Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
• Kohl's Use of Portfolio Manager to benchmark the energy performance of all stores - EPA case study.
• ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Benchmarking Engagement opportunities with ENERGY STAR's various benchmarking tools from EPA.
15. Consumer-targeted Education
• Verizon Wireless Methodology and use of successes to communicate with internal and external stakeholders - EPA case study.
16. Collaborative Involvement
• The Collaboration Imperative Article outlining the most effective models for systematic sustainability collaboration from HBR.
• Adidas, Apple, AT&T, Belk, JC Penney, Office Depot, Outerwall, REI, Sprint, Staples, Target, Tiffany & Co., Verizon, Walmart, Williams-Sonoma Climate Corps Findings Case studies from EDF Climate Corps Fellowship work.
• CALiPER Report 21.3: Cost Effectiveness of Linear (T8) LED Lamps DOE reports of investigations on linear LED lamps purchased in 2012 or late 2013.
• Lighting Upgrades Online courses outlining lighting option evaluation and identifying best cases for efficiency retrofits from Schneider Electric.
• Macy's Installation of dampers, LED lighting, and re-programming the Energy Management System - DOE case study.
• WalmartInstallation of all LEDs on the store sales floor - DOE case study.
Engagement opportunity with DOE's LEEP campaign with technical services, products, incentives, and other lighting efficiency services as well as recognition opportunities.
18. Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
• Energy Implications of Retrofitting Retail Sector Rooftop Units with Stepped-Speed and Variable-Speed Functionality Using whole-building energy simulation to estimate the energy impact of stepped and variable-speed RTU fan motor retrofits in the retail environment - DOE report.
• RTU Specifications: Procurement, Installation, Maintenance, and MoreSteps for building owners to ensure high-efficiency RTUs are incorporated into buildings - Nov.18, 2014 DOE webinar.
• Utility Barriers and Solutions to RTU Controllers Incentives Experts from stakeholder organizations on RTU Advanced Retrofit Control utility incentive barriers and solutions - March 23, 2015 DOE webinar.
• Target, Walgreens, Publix, adidas, JC Penney RTU-specific and holistic building approaches - DOE case studies.
• Advanced Rooftop Unit Campaign Engagement opportunity with DOE providing technical expertise and resources as well as recognition opportunities.
19. Plug Loads
• Assessing and Reducing Plug and Process Loads in Retail Buildings Guide to plug load energy management including a loads reduction process and load-specific strategies from DOE.
• Advanced Power Strips (APS)Cases and applications for Advanced Power Strips (APS) Technical Specification - July 8, 2015 DOE webinar.
• Plug and Process Loads Technology Team Engagement Opportunity with DOE BBA Technology Solutions Team focused on opportunities to reduce plug and process loads from electronics to refrigeration.
20. Energy Storage, Generation, and Demand Response
• RILA Corporate Clean Energy Procurement Index Intended to assist policymakers and large renewable energy buyers in advancing policies, RE development, and help large RE buyers to select states in which they may make renewables investments.
• Purchasing Green Power Guide to Renewable Electricity, Renewable Energy Certificates, and On-Site Renewable Generation from EPA.
• Introduction To Commercial Building Control Strategies And Techniques For Demand Response DOE report on field demonstration of DR programs in commercial buildings.
• Renewable Energy Video on retail strategy around renewable and renewables procurement from Schneider Electric.
• Screening Sites for Solar PV Potential Decision tree for screening and prioritize existing sites for solar PV installation suitability from EPA.
• jcpenneyInstallation of solar arrays - EPA case study.
• Ace Hardware, AT&T, Kroger, Stop & Shop, Verizon, Walmart The business case for fuel cells - Breakthrough Technologies Institute (BRT) report.
• Walgreens Process setting and meeting the goal of LEED Platinum and net zero energy use in their Evanston store, including installation of solar panels, wind turbines, and geothermal technology - DOE case study.
• Whole Foods MarketGrocery store without synthetic refrigerants and featuring solar canopy array and wind and solar powered parking lots - DOE case study.
• Green Power Partnership Recognition opportunity with EPA to become a Green Power Partner to highlight purchase or installation of green power.
• Advanced Retrofit Guide for Grocery Stores Guide for grocery store general project planning with energy efficiency measure identification and payback metrics from DOE.
• Refrigeration Commissioning Guide Guide to reducing refrigeration operating and service costs as well as product loss from ASHRAE.
• Fresh & Easy Retrofits on almost 30,000 linear feet of open medium-temperature display cases in 174 stores - DOE case study.
• Whole Foods Grocery store without synthetic refrigerants and featuring solar canopy array and wind and solar powered parking lots - DOE case study.
• Refrigeration Technology Team Engagement Opportunity with DOE BBA Technology Solutions Team focused on strategies to improve efficiency of new refrigeration systems and components.
22. Food Service
• Technical Support Document: 50% Energy Savings for Quick-Serve Restaurants Guide to energy efficiency options in quick-serve restaurants from DOE.
23. Architectural and shell program
• EnergyPlus Energy Simulation Software Software for whole building energy simulations to model energy and water systems and use from DOE.
• Home Depot Development and implementation of a new, low-energy corporate building prototype - DOE case study.